Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Man Without Culture - is like a zebra without stripes

"Lesedi cultural center provided a day of singing, chanting, “clicking” dancing and story-telling. We enjoyed the crafts, sights and sounds of Africa.

Friendly smiles greeted us as we danced with the natives as they welcomed us to the village. Artisans displayed their beaded handiwork and a marimba band made it impossible to stand still. The innovative natives played checkers on a game board painted on a flat stone. Rocks and bottle caps were used as checkers. Grunts, gasps and groans accompanied the intense game as if the stakes were sky-high. It was almost as much fun watching them take a checkers break as it was enjoying their musical performance. They wanted their pictures taken with us more than we wanted to pose with them. They called me “mama,” a respectful greeting for older women.

Refreshments were provided but not consumed by this mama! Dried mopane worms, otherwise known as caterpillars, were served in a flat, woven basket in one of the small villages. They provide an important source of protein for millions of indigenous Southern Africans. Thankfully, I’m an American and haven’t been that hungry yet.

We observed three generations of beading experts fashion and sell their wares. I bought an intricate black and white beaded necklace. At work one morning I felt a “bug” scamper down the back of my neck. It was followed by several others. Twisting and scratching I tried to smash the tiny invaders. Then I noticed a trail of them bouncing off the floor. It was then I discovered that my beautiful new beaded necklace was made to self-destruct on the first use. Although my souvenir necklace only lasted a few minutes, the memories of Lesedi will last a lifetime." - Sister Basso

7 comments:

  1. You should have eaten those dried caterpillars. Then you certainly would have bragging rights and the people would have loved it....and maybe your necklace would have stayed together... weird one, that was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my..I sure wouldn't have eaten those dried caterpillars either! I was squirming as I read about the "bugs" on your neck, then SO relieved that it was your necklace falling apart...what experiences you are having.
    As I looked at your photos on this latest post, I felt I was looking at a National Geographic article until I saw the picture of my two friends with Africans...you really are there in South Africa! You write so well, Joy, and take such terrific photos. I admire (and worry over) you two so much. May you continue to be blessed with good health and safety as you serve the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my..I sure wouldn't have eaten those dried caterpillars either! I was squirming as I read about the "bugs" on your neck, then SO relieved that it was your necklace falling apart...what experiences you are having.
    As I looked at your photos on this latest post, I felt I was looking at a National Geographic article until I saw the picture of my two friends with Africans...you really are there in South Africa! You write so well, Joy, and take such terrific photos. I admire (and worry over) you two so much. May you continue to be blessed with good health and safety as you serve the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for being on my side, Wanda. Randy thought I should have eaten the worms. I guess it was too engrained in me as a child that it was a negative thing. "I guess I'll just go eat worms and die!" Since I wasn't ready for the final demise, I declined. : ) However, the local Africans think that mopanes are a coveted delicacy!

    Chuck and I often say that we feel like we are in a National Geographic film here. Many of our fellow missionaries are ACTUALLY in those circumstances. Our medical advisor and his wife had to travel to a remote country north of here and saw body parts exposed that he usually only sees in his office. His wife said, "Did I really see what I just saw!" “Gotta” love the reality shows that never sell out to TV but are part of the working day for humanitarian volunteers. Thanks for your interest and kind words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a sister in our stake whose son is leaving today for his mission to Africa. There are 3 of these special missionaries who are opening up a new area in Africa, and I can't remember the name of the area right now... I heard there was an article about them in the Church News recently, although it didn't name them by name. They will also serve in the Republic of Congo and Mozambique. The hard part for the parents is that once they arrive in their first assignment, they will not have communication with their families for 3 months. This sister verified that fact by phone with Salt Lake yesterday. All 3 Elders are very nervous and scared about their missions, but are going anyway. There are other details about their MTC experiences and future missions that have led them to know they are going into areas of possible difficulties. They go with Faith in their hearts. Bless them.

      Delete
  5. One of my sons made me laugh when he said that I must have bought the necklace that the baby made! : )

    ReplyDelete