Tuesday, January 22, 2013

CHOO CHOO . . . ALL ABOARD . . . AFRICAN STYLE

Though on the other side of the world, this holiday train ride is reminiscent of a past photo journal assignment for http://www.trainweb.org/joy/2006c22a/
The same exciting anticipation accompanied it and the challenges of shooting photos from a wiggly, jiggly moving locomotive created similar photographic challenges.  Good thing Dr. Hoffman stuck a motion sickness patch behind my ear.  He said that the active ingredient in the product used to be used for truth serum.  Thus, some passengers were on the edge of their seats with “The National Enquirer” phone number in speed dial.  I assured them that few even read my tell-all BLOG so I was sure their hopes of a record-setting sell of my “ho-hum” life to the media would not make them rich.

The billowing black smoke for the nearly four-tons-of coal-per-hour steam engine would never have gotten the nod from the EPA in the US.  Our lungs could barely tolerate the spewing smoke.  Particles of coal may be imbedded in our eyelids clear into the next year.  But like many challenging rides in life, it was worth the adventure for the thrill of the ride on an antique steam engine train.

When the engine struggled up hill and pumped up the black smoke, Chuck and I chanted, “I think I can.  I think I can.”  Of course, that meant that on the rapid downhill race we concluded the chant with, “I knew I could.  I knew I could.”  It was not quite President Kimball’s counsel to “Just Do It,” a predecessor to Nike’s slogan, but close enough for our passenger purposes.
 
The senior missionaries occupied an entire rail car so that made for fun fellowship and snack sharing. I shot photos from the inside aisle, often through dirty windows, and tried to hit moving targets.  There were several noses arms and other objects running interference so I don’t suppose I’ll earn a Pulitzer Prize for photography.  Nonetheless, it proved to be a fun day to experience some new sights and sounds.  We had a brief mid-point stop and enjoyed a half-time lunch interlude in Magaliesburg.  We enjoyed a brief walk down a block they called “town.”

On the return trip we got an eye and ear-full of riding the rails African style with song and dance . . . and drunks.  Come along for the ride with us through the lens of my camera.

3 comments:

  1. Great photos of train and kids. Love seeing Elder Basso in there. Looks like good experiences all around. Have always loved trains. Keep taking good care of each other. Love you guys. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, Randy. It was a fun! I've always loved trains, too. We plan to make a safari "jeep" out of an old ride-on lawn mower and tow some "cars" behind to take grandchildren on a train ride when we relocate to Arizona after the mission. You'll have to come and visit and take a ride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't feel the urge to visit South Africa because I've already been there through your Blog---your great photos, writings of your experiences, and feeling the Spirit of it all through you and Elder Basso! As I watched the photos of your steam train trip and listened to the upbeat music, I thought of Ray's brother, Phil, who LOVES steam trains. He and his wife have traveled all over just to ride them. In fact, they have also been to South Africa to ride one! My best to both of you dear friends, as you sacrifice much to serve the Lord and the dear people in your area of your mission.

    ReplyDelete