Sunday, June 23, 2013

Three Planets Lined Up in a Celestial Triangle

Rare Spectacular Triple Planet Conjunction

While working in Gaborone, Botswana, I saw an amazing three-planet show starring Venus, Jupiter and Mercury.  It reminded me of “Three Stars Will Shine Tonight,” the theme song of a popular TV show back in the day called “Dr. Kildare.”

In the early evening, I walked out on the roof of our hotel to observe the sunset.  There, I met a star-gazing couple cuddled up on a bench.  The man was looking at his iPad with an astrology app mapping the western sky.  When I heard their American accents, a conversation ensued that revealed he worked for the State Department.  The girl had graduated from Cerritos High School where Chuck and I had taken a ceramics class many years ago.  She had attended Cerritos College across the street from the Stake Center where we attended church for 37 years.  It’s a small world in this vast universe God created!

Triple conjunctions are relatively rare, according to NASA.  Mercury is 105 million miles from Earth, Venus is more than 150 million miles away, and Jupiter is a whopping 565 million miles away.  It was exciting to see this heavenly phenomenon that was so bright that I could see it even with my nearsighted, blurry, unaided vision.  Right before the three planets appeared, a “fireball” with two tails could be seen.  I loved seeing three bright planets and meeting two nice friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment