Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday - Ways to add color

"BLACK Friday in most of Africa means survival, not shopping. I'm thankful to be an American and to have food, clothes, shelter, indoor plumbing, SKYPE, love and purpose. We celebrated Black Friday in South Africa by shopping for food and books for an orphanage and laminating photographs I took of the orphans so that they could see what they look like. I love these children!

You, too, can get an early start and be the first in line to add color to Black Friday by pondering these questions by Will L. Thompson: “Have I done any good in the world today? Have I helped anyone in need? Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad? Has anyone’s burden been lighter today because I was willing to share? Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way? When they needed my help was I there?” Thanks to Helen Keller for these profound words. “I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” - Sister Basso


5 comments:

  1. Great photos and wonderful inspiration from South Africa. May you have many sacred experiences together serving our Father in Heaven and His Son in such a special place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Randy. We are so blessed to be able to serve Heavenly Father's children here in Africa.

      Delete
  2. Joy, I' am assuming all the pictures from this blog are from you and I have to say that you are an amazing photographer! The boy in this post looks so sweet and cheerful. I love the messages that pictures can deliver. How blessed they are to have your skills there to give them, perhaps, the only picture of themselves they'll ever have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hillary. This is actually a girl. The majority of the little girls at the orphanage have their heads shaved for convenience and sanitation reasons. They love to put their cheeks against my white face and touch my hair. I love to hug them and bring a smile to their faces. If I were "Daddy" Warbucks, I'd adopt a houseful of these precious little ones. But I can only keep them in a photograph . . . and in my heart.

      Delete