Sunday, January 1, 2012

2012 in Africa: Ahead of Our Time

"It seems strange to have welcomed in a new year nine hours ahead of our time in California. We are living in a different year than all of our family and most of our friends.

It’s quiet here in town. Most of the black people returned to their native lands and townships for the holidays and other locals are travelling. Our offices are closed and our director is in California on “holiday.” The streets are quiet and the mall is like a ghost town. Warnings appear on television about safe travel when holiday travellers return to town. Over 800 people lost their lives in traffic accidents here this holiday season. We saw a new cross along the side of our daily route just a couple of miles from our flat.

Driving is very hazardous in Johannesburg and the surrounding areas. I drove for the first time here this week and it was very unnerving to say the least. Manoeuvring on the left side of the street and driving with right hand steering requires no small adjustment!

On the way to church last Sunday we almost had a “road kill” dinner lined up when some goats wandered onto the road. There were no fences along the highway to restrain the cows and goats. Only a man with a stick worked to keep the animals at bay. We’ve driven through flooded streets and muddy roads and constantly dodge jaywalkers and street vendors. Once we slowed down nearly to a stop as an entire wedding party was singing and dancing down the street. Occasionally there are even donkey carts slowing traffic to a trot. We have no complaints after becoming acquainted with our refugee missionaries from what they call “7th world” countries where there are very few paved roads in the entire country...

We are very blessed to be in such a beautiful country with green pastures and countless trees. Our vantage point on the fifth floor of our building provides a lovely view of the hillside and New Year’s fireworks. It was the first time we could view fireworks from the comfort of our sofa. It was also the first stroke of midnight welcoming a new year that was not toasted with Martinellis! We substituted “still” water. The first time a waitress asked us if we wanted “still” water I had no clue what they were talking about. The only time I had ever heard about “still” waters was in the 23rd Psalm! Here, “still” water means non-carbonated or non-jumping/moving water.

What better way to bring in a new year than to ponder the words of the “still waters” Psalm. “The Lord is my shepherd: I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will feel no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou annointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.” These comforting words are often in my mind and always in my heart." - Sister Basso

2 comments:

  1. happy new year! you beat us to it! love to read every word and see all the pics!! love you mom and dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Psalm is one I too repeat in my mind and heart a lot. Thanks for sharing. susy

    ReplyDelete