Friday, January 20, 2012

Tilly's Trek

"Most mornings we walk laps on the top parking level of the local mall. The air is fresh and the view spectacular. A chilling wind pressed against our day-break walk. When we rounded the bend and walked with the wind we quickened our pace. However, what goes around comes around and every other lap found us struggling against the cold wind.

Unbeknown to us, Tilly, a thin African woman shared her meager morsels with her two children and headed out on her long journey to our Employment Resource Center. She pressed against the same bone-chilling wind with a miniscule growth of hair insufficient to warm her head. Her pressed hair jetted out nearly to her shoulders when she first attended our Career Workshop but she shaved it off in favor of what she felt was a more professional image and more compatible with her job search.

As we continued our exercise walk against the wind, I paused at a metal railing with chipped paint and pigeon poop. I found a clear spot and clutched the makeshift barre and tentatively did some ballet exercises. It felt great to stretch some muscles whose memory “yarn” had long since lost its memory. My audience was the surrounding apartment buildings with people, no doubt peering in disbelief at the waddling wannabe ballerina. The large parking lot provided the largest practice room I had ever occupied. The sky was the curtain. There was no applause!

Tilly kept her pace without stopping. For three hours she walked “full-steam” ahead with an empty “fuel tank.” With no money for “transport,” she walked mile after mile, as most black people do here.

Chuck and I returned home from our early morning work-out, had a warm bowl of oatmeal with plump raisins and prepared for the day. Tilly kept walking.

We gathered our work supplies and unlocked the bars that secure our flat. For some reason, I turned back and grasped a gray, crocheted cap. I tucked it into our computer case and rushed to summon the lift. Tilly kept walking.

We drove to the Area Offices in our new blue car with the steering wheel on the wrong side. We were rested and renewed for another day of the Lord’s work. Who could we help today? We entered our pleasant work environment and reviewed our schedules. Mine took me out the front door and down to the gray brick road. I walked right into Tilly. She looked pale (well, as pale as a black person can look) discouraged and exhausted after her three hour walk. Her thin jacket was wrapped around her thinner body and seemed to do little to warm her. We walked inside and listened sympathetically to her story of profound poverty. Poor in Africa seems very different than poor in America. Her husband’s eye had looked elsewhere and his body followed. Tilly remained behind and fell under the title of “Single Mother.” As a refugee, she hails from a country where many work conditions are described as “pathetic, abusive and inhumane.” The natives perceive it as a beautiful country but without much opportunity for employment, outside of mining. Many forward thinking natives with desires to provide more for their posterity migrate to South Africa with visions of grandeur. Disappointment sets in when they discover that the depressed economy here understandably offers any available jobs mostly to South African citizens. So capable, well educated Tilly walks and searches for work to feed her children. She has no money to purchase a spiral notebook and pencil for her daughter to have for school. It is late summer here and time to go back to school after their longest holiday time of the year.

After settling in at the office, I invited Tilly to our desk. She was still shivering from her cold morning’s tiring trek. From our briefcase, I pulled a handful of gray yarn that Melia had lovingly fashioned into a warm cap and I offered it to Tilly. She shrieked with joy and put it right on her head. Her down-trodden, weary expression magically turned upside down and her gratitude was profound. I showed her Melia’s photo that was displayed at our desk and she sighed and exclaimed, “She’s beautiful!” Then Sister Savage produced a bag with spiral notebooks for Tilly’s daughter and the Savages also provided some food for the family. That reminded me that I had a bag of school supplies that Heather had sent. I offered them to Tilly and she stared at them in amazement. Chuck opened his wallet and slipped a couple hundred rands into my hand that was a gift from Bryan. I added it to some books, toys and treats I keep stashed in the cupboard by my desk and found a colorful drawstring bag from Sister Nielsen to house the little hoard from many hands. Tilly really needs a computer but that was beyond our ability to give so we provided what we could.

Thank goodness Tilly was raised in a culture that walks and carries things on their heads. She left with a “head-full,” hands full and heart full of love. Most importantly, she left with hope . . . and a smile. Next to being a mother, I think that this may be the only job I know of that has long hours, no salary and costs lots of money and energy just for the privilege of working . . . and yet we feel overpaid. “Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven.”

Tilly’s dream is to be a lawyer. “Someday I will speak in Parliament,” she reminds me as she balances her gifts of love and heads home to feed her children. God bless Tilly’s Trek through life." - Sister Basso

"When I skyped my mom after this happened, I was so very happy and tears came to my eyes to see the hat I made be given to Tilly. I knew someone would receive it when I put it in the mail and it had a long journey to Africa, but to hear the story and the inspiration that my mom felt about it just touched my heart. It also makes me want to get my hands busy and make more hats so that anytime there is a need, Sister Basso will have a source to go to give. So here's my plea, would you help me make hats to warm the heads of your brothers and sisters in South Africa? Sacrifice your time crocheting them and put your love into the creation of them? Can you warm just one more head as we try and spread the love of the Savior when he said, "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me?" (Matthew 5:40) I know just as my parents are being blessed as they serve in Africa so can you and I share in a portion of their journey to bring a smile, hope and strength to those in need. Please contact me at mrioslazo@yahoo.com to see how you can help! Thanks Mom and Dad for letting me share in the 'joy' of your mission!" - Melia

9 comments:

  1. A wonderful story. If possible, could we get mailing address to Elder and Sister Basso. We would love to send a few things. Might even be good to post a list of things they could use to pass out in their work to families and kids. Kepp up the great efforts there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Randy. I commented about this on your "Day of Reconciliation" post and will email our mailing info to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Randy.
    I have emailed our mailing information to you. One of my pet projects is to provide learning activities for impoverished children who travel here from other African countries to obtain temple blessings. These worthy children have no toys or books and idly wait (usually alone) most of the day. My hope is that the small gift packets or bags I give them will provide comfort and joy for the children who wait many hours for their few precious moments in the Holy Temple. I fill the bags with things like Gospel Art books, illustrated scriptures books, "Friend/New Era" magazines in French (DR Congo, Madagascar, etc.), Portuguese (Angola, Mozambique, etc. ) and English, color books and picture pages to color, crayons, pencils, paper, notebooks/journal, puzzles, balloons, small stuffed animals/toys, matching games, treats, inflatable balls/toys, quiet books, etc. Many of the children speak no English so books with mostly pictures are best. Light weight, handmade quiet books, games, etc. are appreciated. We are blessed to have a small Distribution Center here in the Area Offices Complex. I order subscriptions to the “Friend” magazines to have them available to the children in the most common languages. Only English magazines are available in the Distribution Center here. The illustrated scripture books are available here in French, Portuguese and several other languages.

    As for the orphanage, our top priority there is food. We are trying to get a leaky roof fixed there, too. Any kind of “living” supplies is appreciated there. For Christmas we bought them chairs, soccer balls, wooden puzzles, etc. Postage prices are exorbitant so for things that can be purchased here, money contributions can do more good. Money can be sent to us c/o Rod Douglass, 9927 Liggett Street, Bellflower, CA 90706. Every penny that becomes available to us for welfare gifts goes directly to those that we observe with our own eyes and hearts to be truly in need. There are needs everywhere we turn. Every time we give, we wish we had more to give. Like the story of "The Starfish" we can't make much difference with the magnitude of poverty in Africa but we try to make a difference for the ones we can. Thanks for caring.
    (Also replied to your comment on "Day of Reconciliation BLOG entry in December)

    ReplyDelete
  4. such a cute pic of Tilly. True joy. Wee, beautiful job on the beenie! you go girl! I think by the time I figure out how to make and finish one, I could get a job and buy 100! haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. So...if I want to help with supplies or hats, it is better to just send money? And I send it to Rod Douglass? Who is Rod Douglass in relation to the Bassos? Can I just give it to Heather here in QC ?
    Can't wait to meet Bro. and Sister Basso upon their return!! Brookie Dickerson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brookie! The only reason money is best is because of the exorbitant cost and unpredictability of postage. Even though things are more expensive here, they are less than having to add postage on less expensive prices from the US. Rod Douglass is our Bishop in Bellflower, CA and is our son-in-law. You can give donations to Heather and she can send it to her brother-in-law who can make it available for us to use EVERY PENNY towards helping impoverished children here in South Africa. Looking forward to meeting you, too! Thanks for caring! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melia, Will you post your email again please? I sent an email to the link given in the post but I never received a response and I am beginning to think that it didn't make it to you. My mother and I want to help with any homemade hats, scarves, beanies, etc. but we would like some more details about what we can do to be of greatest help to our fellow brothers and sisters. Also, we would love the pattern for the beanie -- it is adorable! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our whole family (several households) has been sick for weeks and we just got a new grandbaby that has been in the NICU for over a week now and won't come home until next week so I've been behind in my humanitarian thinking! I will get my mind on track soon and give the money to Heather and she can get it to where it is supposed to go. :) I have loved reading your blog. It has been a dream of mine for many years to serve a mission in Africa for some reason. Reading about your experiences has only confirmed that desire...except the part about the rats. I have a terrible phobia of all things rodent due to some long ago disturbing experiences. But with a blessing, I'm sure I could get through it. BUT...when the time is right, we will go where we are sent...Africa or Atlanta. :) We don't know how we can afford it, but the Lord will bless us, I'm confident. Thanks for your message. Can't wait to talk to you in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy Basso said, "Hope you and your family are feeling better now. How is the baby doing? Thank you for your humanitarian efforts. It’s great that you are planning to serve a mission. Don't worry about the rats. They're smaller than you are and more afraid of you than you are of them!

      After exiting an elevator one time just as an earthquake hit LA, I became phobic about getting trapped in an elevator. So I climbed 7 flights of stairs to visit a sick friend in the hospital. Here in Africa we live on the fifth floor of an old apartment building with small, noisy elevators. The Lord took away my fear and I walk in and out of the "lifts" without a thought. When we first drove into our gated underground parking area, the sewer pipe was leaking overhead creating a slipper, smelly puddle on the ground. The ceiling was very low and creepy. I stared at it in shock and thought; can I survive walking underneath this 6 story building every day? I answered, "Yes, everything is OK. I'm on the Lord's errand." It never bothered me again. Today we had such a loud, close, booming thunderstorm that the young man I was counselling was frightened right out of his chair. I didn't flinch or miss a beat in our discussion. Now the storm has really intensified. The deafening thunder and lightning is very close and the wind is fierce. I'm thinking that I'd better get the flashlight and Chuck said that heaven is having a bowling match and went out in the rain to catch water for his tiny inside garden. There is no storm His word cannot calm. (See our drive in the storm on my facebook page.)

      As you say, “when the time is right,” provide a willing heart and consecrate all to God's purposes and He will provide you with one of the greatest blessings of mortality. Don't wait until you can afford it without hurting. Just feel the pain and do it anyway. Just trust that He will provide and all will work together for your good. We met a couple in the MTC that were called to serve in Greece. Their name tags were all Greek to me! The government required them to deposit $72,000 in a "special" account with no guarantee of getting it back. They said, “We are not rich people by anyone's standards. But when the prophet called, money seemed to come 'out of the woodwork' and the deposit was made." What faith it takes to go forward when you can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel but you know it exists! So you put your hand into the hand of God and He leads you through. You will be an awesome missionary and a blessing to those you serve. It's not just what you give that matters. It's what you become in the process of giving that is the miracle. We're so grateful for God's tender mercies.

      Delete