Wednesday, June 13, 2012

“I WON’T! I WON’T!’ “I WILL! I WILL!”

An invitation was extended to us to set up a Career Display at the Open House of a beautiful new brick chapel. We visited with neighborhood people and immigrants from Austria to the DR Congo who came to see what the church was like.
All were amazed at the wide range of opportunities available and expressed many favorable responses. There were displays of various classes and auxiliaries, Genealogy/Family History, gardening, food storage/emergency preparedness, Family Home Evening and other visual arrangements of ways that living the gospel blesses families.

Quietly, I walked through the spotless rooms that had the scent of new carpets and wood stain. Both the displays and the visitors were engaging. I paused at the door of the Primary Room to identify the strains of music making their way into my ears and heart. The “tingling” of the spirit rushed through me as my eyes beheld a beautiful but seriously disabled child strapped to a wheelchair in the corner of the room -- alone. As pity and love tugged at my heartstrings, I listened pensively to these touching words by Carol Lynn Pearson.

“If you don’t walk as most people do,
Some people walk away from you,
But I won’t! I won’t!
If you don’t talk as most people do,
Some people talk and laugh at you,
But I won’t! I won’t!
I’ll walk with you. I’ll talk with you.
That’s how I’ll show my love for you.
Jesus walked away from none.
He gave his love to ev’ryone.
So I will! I will!
Jesus blessed all he could see,
Then turned and said, “Come, follow me.”
And I will! I will!
I will! I will!
I’ll walk with you. I’ll talk with you.
I will! I will!"

With a lump in my throat, I pondered the words and the scene before me. I have heard that song so many times before but it never touched me as it did when I looked at that sweet subject of its message. I cheerfully said, “Hello!” There was no response. This handsome little boy just thrashed back and forth uncontrollably and cried out to the images in his private world. He seemed oblivious to the stranger that had entered the room . . . yet, somehow, I felt a connection with him. Love surged through me as I thought how the Savior’s healing love could embrace and bless him. It was a sacred moment and reminded me that we are all Heavenly Father’s beloved children and no matter what our plight in life, our spirits can connect and those who are able can lift and love and serve one another. We can scatter sunshine wherever we go. We can follow the Savior. “I will! I will!”

1 comment:

  1. Powerful. Thank you for sharing. Our new chapel open house is Sept 14 & 15. The dedication is September 16th. We are excited here in Cashmere, WA!

    ReplyDelete