Wednesday, June 6, 2012

MY CUP RUNNETH OVER . . . (1 cup)

An email arrived from a beloved high school friend indicating that a 50-year high school reunion is approaching.  That’s not an uplifting bit of news!  50 years!!  Come on . . .how is that possible!!  Wasn’t it just yesterday that I was in the throes of hormonal insanity and wishing that I could grow up quickly and be happy?  I guess you have to be careful what you wish for.  Quickly came far too soon!  I remember when Chuck’s father visited us on a trip from Hawaii to Michigan.  His destination was a 50 year high school reunion.  My first thought was that he might be the only one to show up.  After all, I thought, “Wouldn’t all those old people be dead by now?”  I was stunned when he reported back that he enjoyed visiting with many of his high school friends and that one of his teachers was even there.  Yikes!  I could probably read about him in the “Guiness Book of World Records!”  I must be much younger than my father-in-law was when he attended his 50-year reunion!  Well, not to worry about appearances, I’ll be spending my 50-year reunion in Africa.  Of course, we are “Guiness” material ourselves here where the life span is only 45-50 years old.  A neighboring country’s lifespan is only 32 years old.  An inquisitive little black boy asked, “How old are you anyway.”  When the reply was, “Almost 67,” his big dark eyes widened in disbelief and he blurted out, “Aren’t you supposed to be dead.”  Hmm . . . perhaps it’s time for some self-examination!  I think I’ll look for a mirror to fog!

2 comments:

  1. awww....children...they say just what they're thinking

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true! As long as that little fellow keeps running up to hug us we'll wear the advancing years the best we can!

    ReplyDelete